ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Science and Humanities plays a crucial role in the undergraduate experience. It forms an integral part of the institution, since its inception, with a mission of imparting teaching and promoting implementation of practical aspects of Physical Science and Humanities to build a solid foundation as part of the engineering education and plays a unique and distinctive role where the ethos of science and technology prevails. The Department offers Ist yr. courses for all the department students. Functioning under Prof. C. Nirmala, as Head of the Department, the concerns of this department can be said to be somewhat different from the concerns of the core disciplines of the Institute and it strives to bring a humane touch to technology and assist the engineers to develop themselves within the social context. English, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry are the four main streams of this department and its main intention is to lay strong foundation in the first year of any course, so that engineering streams become easily accessible to the students.
Shri A. K. Pattabiraman, Head, Accreditation Process for South India, Tata Consultancy Services Ltd., addressing the students on Necessity of Today’s Competitive Global Market in the Inaugural Function.
To provide pre-eminent educational experiences which are stimulating, responsive to needs of the century, and disseminate knowledge through a harmonious blending of Science, Engineering and Technology there by instilling high levels of discipline and preparing our students for leadership in their profession and society.
The Department is committed to foster an intellectual and ethical environment in which the spirit and skills will thrive, so as to impart high quality education and training, preparing students for success at the baccalaureate level of education by providing the services with a global outlook and human values.
Our MISSION is to take all the steps to create it, sustain it and take a leap!!!
FROM THE HOD’S DESK
Prof. C. Nirmala
Head of the Department
“Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world. Nelson Mandela
Taking a cue from above saying, the department of Science and Humanities is working to motivate and encourage our students to channelize their potential in the pursuit of excellence through education. The Department seeks to instill in students the desire to be professionally competent, with intellectual growth and uncompromising faith. It has been our objective to build in our students an unswerving appreciation of and a loyalty to our values upon which our life stands. Our emphasis has always been to develop in them the necessary skills that they need for a sound educational foundation. We train our students to face the challenges in life by arming them with many value added courses to enhance their career prospects. The excellent infrastructure along with the teaching faculty of the best kind, the department ensures a bright future to our students.
I hope all our efforts in promoting our department will continue and save its glory.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVE
- To develop excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation skills and technical writing for effectively interacting with clients, customers, co-workers and managers.
- Ability to apply the knowledge acquired in subject areas like, Mathematics, Basic Sciences, Engineering Sciences, Professional Subjects and Environmental Issues.
- To acquire a broad but not superficial understanding of concepts of Science and its real life applications.
- Strong foundation in theoretical/experimental work for being able to analyze, synthesize and design engineering products, processes and systems as desired.
- To promote awareness amongst students for life-long learning and to inculcate in them professional and ethical attitude, good leadership qualities and commitment to social responsibilities.
- Capacity to function in multi/inter-disciplinary teams with a spirit of tolerance, patience and understanding so necessary for team work.
- Capacity for rational, objective, orderly and logical thinking and ability to communicate with fellow professionals/society effectively in written/oral forms.
- Ability to apply knowledge of mathematics (differential equations, vector calculus, complex variables, matrix theory, probability theory), science (physics, chemistry, etc.), and engineering (electrical, electronics, mechanical etc.)
- Demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology, concepts, and problem-solving approaches.
- Ability to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global/societal context.
The Department of Science and Humanities shields the responsibility of providing a platform to acquire the competency and command over the language. It conducts courses like Business English Certificate (BEC) course and Language Enrichment Programme (LEP). The emphatic enthusiasm offered by the courses bridge the students and their freedom of expression to gain shape through the apt use of language and liberation. The students are trained through these courses to illuminate themselves in any sort of circumstance. They fit their place in the society through various levels of these courses. The students are exposed to the four basic communication skills LSRW (Listening, Speaking, Reading & Writing) to unwrap the shield of ignorance and they are encouraged to pass through many levels to test their efficiency in all the four skills. Based on the skill set of students their degree of exposure is made to decide through various stages. The Department has been focusing the student- folk towards the light of lofty language skills, so they shall overcome their anxiety towards the English language; get rid of their tongue- tie and be able to communicate in English to its zenith. Trainers from Learning Edge Institute of Frontier Education Pvt. Ltd, Chennai visit the students to train them.
LIST OF VAP ORGANISED
- A motivational speech on the topic Embark on the New Journey was organized by the department and Mrs. Priya Sendhil, Proprietor of S2S addressed the audience.
- Defence Orientation Programme on the topic Leadership – The Armed Forces Way was organized and Ltn.Esan, Director, CCUS (Centre for Career in Uniformed Services) addressedthe students.
- An Orientation Programme on the topic Why don’t we like English was organized by the department. Ms. Kusumika Chatterjee, Professional Storyteller, addressed the audience.
- A motivational programme on the topic Journey on Travel Smart was organized by the department and Thiru N. Pugazhendhi, Founder, Big Bodhi Academy, Pondicherry addressed the students of the department.
- Defence Orientation Programme was organized by the department for the students. Mr. Esan, Prof. Anto, Senior Director in CCUS, Centre for Career in Uniformed Services, Coimbatore created awareness among the students about the Job opportunities available in Indian Defence.
- N. Sesha Sayee, Principal District & Sessions Judge, Cbe, Shri. S. Jaganathan, Senior Civil Judge / Secretary, District Legal Services Authority & Smt. R. Arulmozhi Selvi, FTC-1(Magistrate level) & Mr. K. Hariharam, Judicial Magistrate, Pollachi addressed the students on the topic General Legal Awareness.
- An Orientation Programme on How to Develop Communication Skills? was given by Mr. Suryakandhan, Social Worker, Kalankarai Villakam, Rathinapuri, Coimbatore.
- Rishi Chaitanya, Swami Anukoolananda, Spiritual Guide, Chinmaya Mission addressed the students on the topic Transforming Indians to Transform India.
- Students of the Department attended an Introduction Programme for the Elite Gateway’15 given by Mr. K. Pradeepkumar, Founder & President of Elite Circle at college premises.
- Training Programme was handled by Mr. ArunPrakash, CEO, IITM Rural Technology to familiarize the students learn C – Programming through Online.
- Training Programme launched by E-Box was organized for the students. Resource Person: Dr. Pradeep Kumar, Founder & Chairman Chief Innovation Officer, Amphisoft Technologies, Cbe.
- S. Shuib Mohammed, Managing Director, GKNM Hospital, Coimbatore addressed the students on the topic Basic Life Principles.
- Shri G. Rajendran, Regional Director, DGAQA, Ministry of Defence, Govt. of India, Hyderabad as the Chief Guest on National Science Day Celebrations addressed the students on Scientific Awareness.
- Dengue Fever Awareness Programme was conducted for the students to create awareness about Dengue fever and to know the preventive measures. Resource Person: Dr. Ranjith & Dr. Samitha, MedicalOfficers, Nallattipalayam, Kinathukadavu Block, Coimbatore.
- Mr. N. Jayabal, Director, Salzer Electronics & Salzer Exports Ltd, Coimbatore enlightened the students in the Inauguration of UK MBA Experimental Programme on Studying in Abroad.
- Inaugural Speech on Motivating & Moulding the Younger Minds by Mr. Ajay Rathnam, Motivational Speaker, Indian Film & Television Actor, Chennai.
- Language Enrichment Programme by Mrs. S. Nagalakshmi, Coordinator Learning Edge Institute of Frontier Education Pvt Ltd, Coimbatore for developing the Communication Skills of the students.
- A Business English Certificate (BEC) Programme from Six Phrase was organised for first year students.
- Mr. Mohammed Azad A.K, CEO, Reach Information & Communication Systems, addressed the students on the topic Life at College.
- Mr. Mohammed Azad A.K, CEO, Reach Information & Communication Systems, addressed the students on the topic New Life.
- Mr. R. Anantha Sayanam, Dean, Dept .of Education Technology, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore addressed the students on Importance of Education and its Applications in Real World.
- An Orientation Programme on Personality Development was organised by the Department and Mr. Anil M Nair, Zoom Consultancy Coimbatore addressed the audience.
- An Orientation Programme on Time Management was organised by the Department and Mr. P. Prabakaran, TUV Rheinland Coimbatore addressed the audience.
- Shri. Aranga Gopal, Director, SHIBI IAS Academy, Cbe., addressed the students on How to Prepare yourself for Civil Services Exammination?
- Mr. Anil Nair, Principal Trainer, Zoom Consultancy, Coimbatore addressed the students on the topic Importance of Science & Engineering.
- An Orientation Programme on Importance of Reading, Self confidence & Creative thinking was organised by the Department and Dr. R. Sundararajan, Principal, GCT, Coimbatore addressed the audience.
- An Orientation Programme on Importance of Applicative Knowledge and Communication Skills was organised by the Department and Mr. M. Rajkumar, Regional General Manager, The Hindu, Coimbatore addressed the audience.
- An Orientation Programme on Importance of Positive Attitude & Various aspects of Learning style was organised by the Department and Dr. S. Jayaraman, Dean, Sona College of Engineering, Salem addressed the audience.
- A Motivating speech on Importance of field of Education by Shri K. Prabhu, General Manager, Skava Systems, Coimbatore, was conducted for the students.
- A Motivating speech on Importance of Self Preparedness by Dr. Anbumani, Dean, Sri Ramakrishna Engineering College, Coimbatore, was conducted for the students.
- An Orientation Programme on Recent trends of development in the field of Engineering and Communication Skills was organised by the Department and Mr. Armin. H. Huck, Director Operations, ERBATECH MACHINERY Private Limited addressed the audience.
- An Orientation Programme on Opportunities Abroad was organised by the Department and Dr. S. Jayaraman, Dean, Sona College of Engineering, Salem addressed the audience.
Language Enrichment Programme (LEP) by Mrs. Nagalakshmi, Trainer, Learning Edge Institute of Frontier Education Pvt Ltd.
Motivational Speech during the Inauguration of first year classes for the academic year 2014-15, by Shri. Ajay Rathnam, Motivational Speaker, Indian Film, Television Actor.
Inauguration of first year classes on 06.08.2015 for the academic year 2015-16. Chief Guest: Shri. Soma Valliappan,Self Help Author, Motivational Speaker and Trainer addressing the audience.
On 6.8.2015 during the Inauguration Programme of First Year Classes for the academic year 2015-16, Ms. N. Selvanayaki, AP/Maths being appreciated for having produced 100 % results in the Anna University Examinations.
Students of first year Department at the Codissia Hall for Elite Gateway-15 Programme on 31.10.2015.
Releasing Department Magazine at National Science Day Celebrations – ACME 2015.
Akshara of I st year Civil receiving Sports Scholarship 25% fee waiver – during the Inaugural Function of the first year classes for the academic year 2015-2016.
Students of the Department exhibiting their skill at Face Painting Event during National Science Day Celebrations – 2015.
Dr.Ranjith &Dr. Samitha, Medical Officers,Nallattipalayam, Kinathukadavu Block, Coimbatore at Dengue Awareness Programme highlighting the preventive measures to the students.
Dr. Pradeep Kumar, Founder & Chairman Chief Innovation Officer, Amphisoft Technologies, addressing the students on 14.09.15 at IXEL Training Programme.
Mr. Esan, Prof. Anto, Senior Director, Centre for Career in Uniformed Services interacting with students during the Defence Orientation Programme.
Cultural Feast on the Inauguration Day 06.08.2015.
Students of the Department at a Local Industrial Visit to G. D. Naidu Museum, Coimbatore.
Students actively participating in an Essay Writing Competition on National Education Day 11.11.2015.
Students performing Yogasanas.
A Student of Ist year ECE receiving merit scholarship during the Inaugural Function of the first year classes for the academic year 2015-2016.